Gransasso d’Italia Prati di Tivo
Prati di Tivo is a mountain resort town of Abruzzo region, in the municipality of Pietracamela, in the province of Teramo, the north-eastern slopes of the massif of the Gran Sasso of Italy. Location of the ski resort, at the base of the northern slopes of Corno Piccolo is located 6 km from the historic centre of Pietracamela and 40 miles from Teramo and falls within the parco nazionale del Gran Sasso and Monti della Laga National Park.
The site is worthy of special attention landscapes, constituting one of the most characteristic and famous mountain of Teramo province and one of the access points to the main peaks of the Gran Sasso. The resort, surrounded by beech forests of Aschiero and almond, you can observe up close the northern wall of the highest peak in the chain of Appenninicontinentali (Big Horn) and the roughness of its limestone-dolomitic appearance.
Montorio Al Vomano
The city is located at the upper inland entrance of the Vomano valley, on the banks of the river with the same name. The territory of the Montorio al Vomano commune contains a mountainous area but in larger part is made up of hills and open plains. A hilly incline known as Il Colle (The Hill) leads up from the right bank of this river and provides a beautiful view of the valley below. Above the town are the ruins of the Fortress San Carlo, initiated in 1686 by the Spanish Marchese del Carpio to fight against the brigand forces.
There are several hypotheses regarding the origination of the name “Montorio”. The most likely is that the name derives from the Latin Mons Aureus (Golden Mountain), referring to the plains surrounding the town that were once covered in a luxurious open expanses of golden grains. Supporting this theory are the shape and configuration of the town symbol which shows three hills, each with a sheath of grain planted atop.
Shrine of St. Gabriele dell’Addolorata
The sanctuary is located at the foot of the Gran Sasso, in the municipality of Isola del Gran Sasso of Italy, in the province of Teramo.
The sanctuary includes 4 major structures in Abruzzo: the convent, which houses the headquarters of the Passionists, where in 1862 died San Gabriele dell’Addolorata;
the ancient Church, erected in 1908 in honour of San Gabriele;
the new Church of 1970 in reinforced concrete, glass and steel, which is typically open on weekends and holidays to accommodate the large number of pilgrims (may contain 5-6000 people);
the echo of San Gabriele, the monthly magazine connected to the activity of the sanctuary.
Its capital is famous for the production of ceramics, a tradition that dates back to the early Renaissance, even it is assumed above, that has become world famous for the quality of the design, but especially for the subtlety of the decoration. Among the main masters developed in temporal order Antonio Lollo, the Grue and the Gentiles. The first one has a fine judgement of Paris in MN with touches of yellow, while aCarlo Antonio Grue (1655-1723) is attributed to the style that made him famous majolica of castles. His works portrayed themselves mainly temimitologici or groups of horsemen. Until the early 19th century, several generations of Grue followed by obtaining outstanding results. the city is home to interesting and unusual ceramics Museum and the Art Institute “f. a. Grue”.
During the period when Potito Randi was Dean of the school of art was made by teachers and students of the Institute one of the most interesting artistic products of modern production castellana, the so-called “third ceiling of the Church of San Donato” then renamed more happily the “third heaven”.
Even in Pescara has a private museum which houses precious ceramics.
In 2009, the producers ‘ Consortium Centro ceramico Castellano scored the amphorae used during the voyage of the Acquaorganizzato on the occasion of the XVI Mediterranean Games Pescara 2009.
You can visit the Church of San Giovanni Battista, known for its ceramic altarpiece created in 1647 by Frederick Grue.
The territory is one of the access points to the parco nazionale del Gran Sasso e Monti della Laga: climbing Rigopiano you can reach the southern part of Campo Imperatore by Vado di Sole (1650 m s.l.m.) in about 20 km and a difference in altitude of about 1200 m in a very suggestive natural path. Impressive is also the view of the Northeast Wall of the shirt and the underlying thick wooded area.
The Torre di Cerrano is one of the ancient coastal towers of the Kingdom of Naples, located on the Adriatic coast, in the province of Teramo, between Pineto and Silvi Marina; in the territory of the latter town, two kilometres south of the town stands out clearly on the horizon on a small hill behind the beach, surrounded by a clump of tall pine trees, in an environment of rare beauty.
It owes its name to the nearby Creek Cerrano (ancient Matrinus), whose name in turn probably derives from that of the goddess Ceres (Demeter, Goddess Mater) . The river rises on the hills of Atri, from ancient qanats type fountains and flows 500 meters South of the Tower in the town of Silvi.
The area was once the site of the ancient port of lobbies, in the mirror of the Sea close to the tower and the River lie the remains of a submerged Pier in the shape of “L”, masonry work and various artifacts .
He is currently one of the venues of the biology of the IZSAM waters .
In February 2008, the Consortium was formed by management of the marine protected Area Torre del Cerrano, preparatory act to the issuance of ministerial decree establishing the marine park. The process was started in 1997 when the “Torre di Cerrano Marine Park” was inserted into the law 334 . After many years, with an ongoing commitment from local authorities and especially with the involvement of associations and stakeholders, the April 7, 2010 has been published in Gazzetta Ufficiale della Repubblica Italianail Decree of the Ministry of environment, land and sea of the October 21, 2009, establishing marine protected Area Torre del Cerrano .
The Coast of Teramo
The Teramo Coast from North to South on the coast meet seven cities, nicknamed the seven sisters: Martinsicuro, Alba Adriatica, Tortoreto, Giulianova, Roseto degli Abruzzi, Pineto and Silvi.
Thriving resort with a very beautiful sea that boasts a blue flag and with excellent facilities: hotels, residence, bed and breakfast, & campsites and villages, in addition to bathing increasingly equipped with sporting areas and restaurants.
In addition to nature and the sea enchanting Teramo coast offers characteristic villages and important monuments to admire.
Campotosto Lake is the largest artificial lake in Abruzzo. Located entirely in the province of L’Aquila, Abruzzo, between the towns of Campotosto (hence its name), Capitignano and L’Aquila, at an elevation of 1,313 m s.l.m., has an area of 1400 hectares and reaches a maximum depth of 30-35 meters.
The Lake is part of the State nature reserve of the same name, established on an area of 1,600 hectares in 1984 to protect the natural environment of the National Park of Gran Sasso and Monti della Laga National Park.
Civitella del Tronto
The origins of Civitella del Tronto are unclear, although in Ripe di Civitella and Sant’Angelo cave and Solomon, were unearthed artefacts dating back to the Neolithic and Palaeolithic.
Civitella del Tronto is believed to be the ancient Piceni Beregra area. The first certain historical the place in IX-X centuries (the origin of the town is middle ages) as incastellata town to escape the Saracen and Hungarian raids.
The country was overrun by the Ascolani four years after that in 1251 had declared war on the “Teramani” expansionist purposes. To save the civitellesi Pope Alexander IV intervened that put an end to the bloody and reckless looting ascolani highlighted by Bishop aprutino Matthew i. Mindful of Ascoli invasion and aware of the strategic importance of having in the border zone an efficient fortification Carlo d ‘ Angiò ordered the fortification of Civitella you he the March 25, 1269. Already in the 13th century the village belonged to the Kingdom of Naples was surrounded by walls and, because of its particular geographical position of the border with the State of the Church, always had a great strategic importance. She underwent seclusion by the Angevins to Civitella Aragonese in 1442. Alfonso of Aragon, after defeating Francesco Sforza and regained even Civitella in 1443, transformed the castle into a Strong Square Civita in 1450 in view of the winds of war with France. Lieutenant Alfonso, son of Ferdinand I, noticing a woman possessed by the devil asks for help in San Giacomo della Marca that accomplishes the miracle in 1472. In 1495 the civitellesi continue to suffer abuse of Castellano and, in protest, damaging four of the five towers of the castle that is brutally sacked. The Tribunal of taxes Grascia, the phenomenon of banditry and the hospitality that the military faced civitellesi continue even after the peace treaty of Blois lead the people in dire straits.
In 1557 was laid siege to by the French Duke of guise, Henry II’s General allied with Pope Paul IV, who, though fierce and violent, failed to capture the city, and in May of the same year lifted the siege and withdrew at Ancona. In this war, between the French and Spanish, Civitella changed its name to Civitella del Tronto, as protagonist of war del Tronto. The victorious and valiant resistance which the people of the riuscÏ Citadel to bring back was appreciated in the entire Kingdom, so much so that its citizens were removed from tax burdens for forty years, and at the expense of the demesne were restored the buildings and the fortress. For the same episode in 1589 was elevated to the rank of city and was conferred the title of Fidelissima from Philip II of Spain.
In 1627 to Civitella were felt earthquakes. Another earthquake occurred on January 21, 1703. The fidelity of Civitella Habsburgs continues even in the dark ages of Philip IV and Charles II. In 1707 the civitellesi, fallen into Austrian hands, even for legitimate route Treaty of Utrecht, lose any tax benefit. The Austrians leave August 16, 1734 Civitella Philip V’s troops. The Bourbon domination begins.
Was besieged again by French troops in 1798 falling with dishonor, and in 1806. In this case the Fort, defended by major Irish Matthew Wade, upheld a four-month siege against the far more numerous Napoleonic troops, capitulating honorably on May 22, 1806.
A famous history page linked to Civitella and his fortress is that relating to the Risorgimento. In 1860, after crossing The Emilia-Romagna and Marche, the army of King Victor Emmanuel II of Savoy the 26 October shook Civitella siege, during which the Bourbon soldiers resisted for 200 days. Although the Kingdom of the two Sicilies was finished on February 13, 1861 with the fall of Gaeta, and the surrender was sealed on March 17 with the proclamation in Parliament, in Turin, the Kingdom of Italy, Civitella continued to fight, falling only March 20, 1861, then three days after he was sanctioned the unification of Italy. This episode makes the last Bourbon fortress which surrendered, agreeing, in fact, the end of the reign of the two Sicilies.
As always, during a siege coeval, once isolated the fortress from possible external aid, the siege, led by General Louis Makossa (un napoletano Bourbon school), bombed the structure to demoralize the last Bourbon departments. Sapendosi blocks and lacking of any hope of rescue, different departments located in some wings of the fortress surrendered. Yet one last part of the military, despite the release of comrades, decided, although in dire straits, forces to resist again, then give up only at the end . The survivors were taken prisoner and transferred to detention facilities is not identified, because of the absence of in-depth historical research on the subject.